Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Iceberg season again


Pack ice and icebergs are making an early appearance this year and on Easter Sunday I took a drive down the coast to Ferryland to see a large berg grounded just offshore.  There were quite a few people dotting the hill overlooking the sea and the wind off the water was so cold that I didn't stay long.


I went further up the coast for an alternate angle and explored the little town of Aquaforte where I found a few boats for my reference collection, along with some further shots of the iceberg.


Icebergs and pack ice aren't something that I've painted very often.  The bergs are majestic and do have appeal but for some reason I haven't gotten around to them.  I'll have to rectify that in the very near future.

Meanwhile, if you're on an iceberg hunting quest, you can find their location on the Iceberg Map.  Its predicted to be a bumper iceberg season in 2017.


4 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

that is really cool to see :) wonder how big it is under the water since it looks pretty big above the water

Jeanette Jobson said...

There was a drone/helicopter video of this iceberg from the air that really showed it in detail. Quite the hunk of ice!

Yes, it did look very large, so I imagine 3/4 is underwater.

Jo Castillo said...

Wow, guess I won’t see any of those in real life. Thanks for sharing!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Perhaps one day Jo, but meanwhile a photo is the next best thing (and a lot warmer!)